Friday, October 2, 2015

Black As My Soul, Part I

It is black... as my SOUL!!!

Yeah, I probably have to say that in person for it to have the full effect.  The first time someone who has judged me as mild-mannered, sweet, and quiet hears me say this... well, the look on their face is always quite amusing.

Why do I say this?

Well, for one, to me, it's funny.  I do not believe I have a soul, or at least, not the kind one thinks about as a Catholic.  I have a metaphysical essence, but it's not chained to a God or religion or philosophy in anyway.  All of that is more complicated, and not really covered by Zen.

Why?

Because everyone experiences that stuff differently, so that they can understand what they need to know.  An astrophysicist or a chemist would explain how the universe works extremely differently from a pianist or a writer or a painter or a teacher.  All of them could be right.  However, they will explain it very differently, and if nuance is taken too literally, all these explanations will be seen as, not different accounts of the same thing, but as completely different things.

But I digress, to say black as my soul, is to ask whomever I say this to, to think.  I was a piano teacher for several years, I have manners, and I generally practice ethics in everything I do.  People see me as warm and kind.  They do not associate me with black.

But why couldn't my soul be black?  Why is black considered bad?

Two things come to mind...

A very common symbol that represents the universe is the yin-yang.  I loved them when I was a teenager, and I still do today.  I think it's a great reminder of not seeing things as black and white, but trying to see them as a whole, as they are.  In this view, my soul cannot be entirely black, or if it is, it is surrounded by lighter things.  If we did not have that balance, we would not exist.

Plus, who can sleep well in a bright room?  I'm sure there are a few of you out there, but personally, I like darkness for sleeping time.

Second, what "color" is the absence of light?  Our brains analyze it so we see it as black.  It's not necessarily actually black, but that is how we interpret it, with the abilities we have.  And to be completely technical, black isn't a color.  It's the absence of color.

So if my soul is black...

Yeah, you got it!  It's the absence of a soul, or at the very least, our concept of a soul.

Why is this important in Zen?

All forms of Buddhism are to help reduce suffering in our lives, possibly with the goal of enlightenment.  Attachment is at the root of most suffering.  To be attached to a concept of a soul is to suffer, on multiple levels.  If one loses their attachment, they also lose their suffering.  It doesn't mean to negate the existence of something that is real.  It means that we go through our perceptions and root out what is false, harmful, causes suffering, or holds us back.

All that happens in our mind becomes our reality.  If you choose to attach to the concept of a soul, you will function as if you have one, even if you don't.  That "soul" that you have created will work in the way in which you believe it does, and affect you accordingly.

Cool, huh?

Equally cool: you can positively affect your whole life with this power.  However, if you do not understand the "programming" or perceptions that you have accepted, you are being affected positively or negatively by that power, and can feel helpless.  Once you begin to understand and root through your perceptions, you can begin to positively change your life, because you understand how your mind works.  Then, you can make decisions to attach to new perceptions, or not, depending on your wants and desires.

And remember, don't feel bad if you decide you wish to keep some or all of your attachments.  Kuan Yin (or Kannon, or Quan yin, or Avalokitesvara, depending on the tradition), a Bodhisattva, who hears the cries of the world and is known for their* great compassion, vowed not to reach nirvana until all sentient beings attained enlightenment.  That, while being completely awesome, is an attachment.  It's always a choice, and if you understand that, it will be a choice you agree with.

And if you don't, down the road or a second later, you can always change it.

So, is my soul black?  Yes, because instead of having a soul, I have a void, which is black, because it is the absence of matter.

What color is your soul?

*I used "their" here, because depending on the tradition, Kuan Yin (insert all other possible names here)'s gender varies.

No comments:

Post a Comment